Having just returned from a fantastic camp in Spain we have been analysing our results and looking at the reasons why weight loss results were truly amazing, yet energy levels remained high. One of the key reasons, as with everyday life is down to the food that we were feeding our campers.
With many Mediterranean vegetables and new Spanish recipes incorporated into the nutrition plan, Conrad (the chef) cooked up a storm. He got creative in the kitchen to utilise the local produce while ensuring the campers nutritional needs were met.
I thought you may like a taster of some of the recipes we have introduced to our Northumberland camps too and give your energy levels a boost and your taste buds a treat.
Lemon and Olive Chicken Tagine
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 3 Chicken breasts
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 1tsp paprika, cinnamon, cumin and turmeric
- 1-2 tsp of powdered ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 slices of lemon
- handful of olives
1) Add all the ingredients to a large saucepan and cover.
2) Bring to boil and simmer for around 40 mins or until chicken cooked and tender.
3) Once the chicken is tender the tagine is ready to serve.
4) Can be served alone or with cauliflower rich with fresh coriander.
This went down a treat, delicious and easy to make. YummyTuna Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 4 large round tomatoes
- 2 – 6 oz cans tuna (water or oil packed)
- 1 small courgette (5 inches)
- 2-3 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 6-8 black olives
- dash of sherry vinegar
- drizzle of olive oil
- 5mm round slice of goats cheese per tomato
- 1 boiled egg
This Tuna-Stuffed Tomatoes recipe makes 4 servings.
Open cans of tuna and drain them, squeezing excess water. Flake tuna into a bowl.
Chop Cucumber and black olives into small bits. Chop red onion finely. Add to tuna and mix. Splash a bit of sherry vinegar on the tuna mixture and drizzle olive oil over top. Mix thoroughly. Add salt if needed.
Boil an egg, cool and chop and add to tuna mixture.
Rinse and dry tomatoes. Cut off the tops of the tomatoes, then cut out the flesh, leaving a cavity large enough to fill with tuna mixture. Spoon mixture into tomatoes, allowing it to mound on top.
Place goats cheese on each tomato and place under grill until cheese melts. Serve immediately.