Right, we’re going to start to increase the Christmas vibe now as part of the boot camp #AdventAbs campaign. All-healthy, all-festive recipes that’ll get you in the mood – and in the right shape – for those parties. Today we’re going for an awesome curried lentil, parsnip & apple soup that’s got a great festive glow, with none of the sluggishness.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp medium curry paste
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 500g parsnips (around 5 medium parsnips), peeled and cut into chunks
- 140g dried red lentils
- 2 Bramley apples (about 400g), peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1½ l vegetable or chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- natural yogurt, to serve (optional)
- chopped coriander, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the curry paste and onions together over a medium heat for 3 mins, stirring. Add the parsnips, lentils and apple pieces. Pour over the stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat slightly and cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the parsnips are very soft and the lentils mushy.
Remove from the heat and blitz with a stick blender until smooth. (Or leave to cool for a few minutes, then blend in a food processor.) Adjust the seasoning to taste. Heat through gently, then ladle into deep bowls. Serve with natural yoghurt and garnish with fresh coriander, if you like. This soup can be made in large batches and frozen if you wish. Just defrost on the morning
It was an intense workout yesterday so feel free to have a rest today. The last stint of hard work in the build-up to Christmas starts again tomorrow!