Nutrition is every bit as important as getting the right exercise – but knowing what to eat, and when, can be mystifying. Remember – you can enjoy your food as well as eat healthily.
We help out boot camp guests by providing all their meals and making sure they eat well – but it can be harder to stay disciplined when you’re at home or you’ve had a long day in the office.
So follow our simple nutrition tips and you won’t go far wrong.
Here is our 11-step guide to nutrition.
- Eat natural, the less processed the food/drink, the better our body will process it.
- Look for Protein in every meal. Aim towards 100g of protein per day, especially within 30 mins of exercise.
- Avoid trans/hydrogenated fat – monitor fat intake BUT don’t exclude it. We need good fats. Read more about fats here.
- Take on complex carbohydrates as a side portion, not a main meal.
- Avoid wheat and increase variety in complex carbs, eg beans, pulses, lentils, vegetables, sweet pots
- Maintain a varied and colourful diet, healthy food does NOT mean diet food!
- Portion Size is everything. Think in small handfuls and no more.
- Plan your meals in advance and be prepared for the moments when temptation strikes.
- If it all goes wrong, draw a line under it and move on. We are not perfect, so don’t be disappointed when you make a bad choice, just try to make your next choices good choices
- Be realistic, it is ok to have a small amount of something you love. Try to “Earn it or Burn it”
- Enjoy all of your food and enjoy getting smaller, fitter and having more energy.